Most businesses across Nigeria have fallen victim to prevalent insecurity and incur enormous costs on private security services. More so, many firms incurred losses following the recent civil ENDSARS protests and subsequent lootings in major cities in the country – highlighting different security challenges constraining business profitability. Many have highlighted the lack of knowledge and the insensitivity of businesses to their security environment. Furthermore, events during the ENDSARS saga has shown that the government’s ease of doing business policy has not eased the burden of business insecurity in Nigeria. For instance, the latest ease of doing ratings, Nigeria ranks 131 among 190 countries of the world.
Hence, to assist local businesses address the above problems, a workshop is being organised jointly by Covenant University’s Centre for Economic Policy and Development Research (CEPDeR) and Ota-Agbara Chamber of Commerce, Industry, Mines and Agriculture (OTAGCCIMA). The event, which is geared towards promoting robust partnership between industry and academia on security matters. The workshop, themed ‘Security Dynamics of the Business Environment for Sustainable Development’ is taking place as follows:
Date: Thursday 23rd February 2021
Venue: CUCRID Building, Covenant University, Ota, Ogun State, Nigeria
We are drawing the Speakers/Panellists from agencies of government, private sector, and academia. Speakers and Facilitators that have confirmed their presence include:
- Assistant Inspector General (AIG) of Police
- Chief (Dr) Jackie A. Kassim, Executive Vice Chairperson, MISSAK Group
- Professor Daniel Gberevbie, Professor of Public Administration, Covenant University and former Military Personnel, Nigerian Air Force.
- Security Experts and Representatives of Community-based Organisations
- Amotekun & Social Orientation and Safety Corps Agency (So-Safe Corps)
CEPDeR-OTAGCCIMA Security Workshop is aimed at developing the capacity of orgganisations’ operations managers, chief security officers and in-house security guards. Practical tips and sustainable solutions to new insecurity issues will be highlighted during the training sessions. Social media and cyber perspectives of security will be addressed; thereby,providing fresh insights to enlighten participating organisations. The workshop is a part of Covenant University’s industry partnership and community impact initiatives. As such, the opening and practical sessions will cover topics such as:
- Risk Assessment, Planning & Reporting Models
- Promoting Collaboration among Stakeholders for Adequate Security
- Maximising Opportunities for Peaceful Co-existence in Business and Community Environments
- Enhancing Security apparatus at the local & state levels
- Contingency Planning and Emergency Response in Safety Management
- Dynamics of Security Architecture, Human Psychology and Community Relations
Brief Information on Organisers
- The Centre for Economic Policy and Development Research (CEPDeR) was established by Covenant University’s Department of Economics and Development Studies with the main aim of ‘Linking Research to Policy and Practice’. So far, CEPDeR has become a vibrant development and economic policy research centre. (Details are on CEPDeR’s website at http://cepder.covenantuniversity.edu.ng/).
- Ota-Agbara Chamber of Commerce, Industry, Mines and Agriculture (OTAGCCIMA) is a business membership organisation with the main objective of promoting Free Enterprise and advocating for a conducive business environment. OTAGCCIMA is a leading player within organised private sector in Nigeria and an active member of NACCIMA (see more details at OTAGCCIMA’s website https://otagccima.com.ng/).
Partners & Collaborators on the Security Workshop
Partnership, Exhibition and Enquiries should be made using the details below:
Email: email@example.com or call: 08182466026
Dr Obindah Gershon
Ag Chair, CEPDeR and Chair, LOC
Mr. Akinade Akerele
Exco Member, OTAGCCIMA and Co-Chair, LOC